Matt and I checked in the hospital last Wednesday night. We went to Chick-fil-A for our final dinner together before we became a family of three. Once we got to the hospital and got all checked in the nurses checked me to see if I had dilated any more. I had not dilated any more at that point. They started the process around ten that night. Around four am I decided it was time to go ahead with my epidural. I was really nervous, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. They said that the process was textbook perfect. We were able to get some sleep and my doctor came in around seven that morning to break my water.
The nurses and my doctor continued to check on me and discovered that Carson was having late decelerations. That means that after I would have a contraction he was not getting the oxygen that he needed in a timely manner. My doctor came in my room around nine and said, "I think we need to have this baby now." I was not prepared for this. I knew there was always a possibility of a c-section, but I really was not thinking we were going to have to go this route. The next thing I know is we have a room full of people asking me all kinds of questions and getting me prepped for the section. I was full of emotion, but comforted knowing that Matt was right there with me.
We originally thought that he would be born that afternoon so we told our family to get to the hospital around ten. After we found out that we were going to have to deliver by section Matt called our family and they rushed up to the hospital. They got there right after I was wheeled into surgery.
I have never had any surgery, so this was a whole new experience for me. As soon as they pulled him out my doctor said he had a head full of hair and then they showed him to us. We heard his first cry and both of us just broke down in tears. We were so happy that he here and healthy. They immediately took him over to the warmer and did a quick assessment on him. He had a great apgar and everything checked out to be just fine. The nurse handed Matt and pair of scissors to cut his cord and Matt followed through with it. I was so happy that he decided to cut it.
After they stitched me back up they wheeled me back into my room. Our family was able to come back there immediately so they could meet their new grandson. The room was full of happy emotion.
Carson Joseph was born on July 9, 2009 at 9:41 am and weighed 6 lbs 14 oz and 19 inches long.
We were not able to come home from the hospital until Sunday. I was having a little bit longer recovery. I had two really bad nights in the hospital. I have never been in that much pain in my life.
Since we have been home I have had a good recovery. This whole experience did not go as I thought it would, but we are just glad that everything went well and that we have a healthy little boy.
I Do Now
6 days ago

I am so glad you are doing well. That little boy is just beautiful as are you! Be sure and take care of yourself...it is hard to remember that sometimes when you are trying to care for him, but you need your rest too. Much love to you and praising God for your special gift!
ReplyDeleteThanks Kathy. Things are going much better. My mom has been a big help this week and I am trying to get as much rest as I can while I can. Matt's mom is coming to stay with us next week to help.
ReplyDelete