Matt and I have been very blessed with Carson especially since I am able to stay home with him. Carson has never shown any signs of separation anxiety at church or with family and friends. However, recently I believe he has been having some sleeping separation anxiety. Sleeping separation anxiety is a little different than normal separation anxiety because with the separation anxiety you are normally leaving your child in the care of someone else who can comfort them while you are gone. With sleeping separation anxiety it is a little different because you are leaving them all alone. The problem with that is they get so worked up about you being gone that they can't settle down and relax enough to fall asleep. I know that sometimes you just have to let a baby cry until they go to sleep, but you can't do that with a baby who shows signs of sleeping separation anxiety
I didn't really know this existed, but I did some research and it happens to some babies and toddlers right around there first birthday. In the research it said that most babies go through some sort of phase of separation anxiety whether it be at home or some place else. Carson had shown some signs at home of separation anxiety, but I didn't really think much of it at the time. I just thought he was being a typical whinny baby sometimes, but he would get upset if I walked away from him or went in another room where he couldn't see me. I guess I also didn't really notice it because it wasn't an everyday thing and it didn't last for a very long period of time.
As you know, we have had a very busy summer so far. A couple of weeks ago, Carson and I, were able to go to the beach with some family. Since we have been back home, Carson has struggled with nap time and bed time. Carson use to be a very easy baby to put to sleep. We would give him his bottle, rock him for a few minutes, turn his music on, give him his passy and lovie then lay him in his bed and he would fall asleep on his own with no problems. However, since we have been home it has been rather changeling at times putting him to bed.
If we laid Carson down in his bed as soon as we left his bedside he would start screaming. We had to either be holding him or put him in his bed either rubbing or patting his back until he fell asleep. If he couldn't feel our hands on him he would absolutely freak out. I have never seen him like that before. At first, we would let him cry for a bit to see if he could settle down by himself. We would try to be consistent and let him cry for a bit without going back in his room to pick him up or rock him until he fell asleep, but he would cry so hard with no signs of settling down that we would eventually have to take action. This was before I had done any research.
So, we decided that we would just rock him until he fell asleep. Well, it would take him sometimes an hour to an hour and a half to go to sleep and sometimes when we laid him down he would wake right back up. So, then we decided to rock him until he was drowsy then lay him in his bed so he could start falling asleep on his own. We still would have to pat him some until he fell asleep or he would freak out.
In the past few days we have made some progress. We can rock him for a few minutes then lay him down, pat him for a few minutes and then just stand by his bed without patting him. Every once in a while he will look up just to make sure we are still there, but then he will lay back down. After he is still for a bit then we can ease our way out of the room. He will still cry out some, but we go back in immediately so he knows that we haven't left him. Once he sees us, he will lay back down and then we have to ease our way out again. The time periods of us having to go back in his room to comfort him are getting further and further apart.
It has been a long couple of weeks since we were doing this three times a day. I am so thankful to have a wonderful teammate to help me. I know that no one said parenting was going to be easy, but sometimes, it can get a little overwhelming, especially since I am still trying to catch up myself from everything that has been going on. I am so excited that this stage that Carson is going through is getting easier for him. He is making a lot of progress and I hope he is able to continue making progress.
I know this whole blog posting my sound silly to some of you, or you may just think we are crazy and should just let him work it out on his own, but I could really use your prayers for the next few weeks. We are going back out of town soon and it always takes Carson a little bit of time to readjust to our routine once we get back home. Normally, this would not be a problem, but after we get back home Matt will be having knee surgery again. It would make it so much easier on me if Carson could quickly get back into our routine and not go through the separation stuff again. We will be leaving Carson with Matt's parents for a few days while Matt has surgery then Matt's mom will be bringing Carson back home a few days later. Carson has never been away from both of us overnight before. Please pray that Matt's 3rd knee surgery will go smoothly and that Carson will re-adjust quickly. I am not worried about the fact that we will be leaving Carson because I know that he will have a great time and is in good hands,I just hope we don't have to go through the whole process again like we did when we got back home from vacation.
p.s. if some of this doesn't make since it is because I had to start and stop typing on several occasion because I was in the process of trying to put Carson to bed. :)
I Do Now
6 days ago

I understand...my boy had a very hard time - we finally tried to lie down on the floor outside his room but with the door cracked so he could see us. Slowly we closed the door until he was asleep. Took us FOREVER to figure that out as a solution. I'll pray for you that you find what works for your sweet boy so all of you can have a less stressful bedtime.
ReplyDeleteThanks Kathy. We have been leaving his door open too. I am glad that it got better for you.
ReplyDelete