Pages

2.12.2013

The Sweetest Thing.....

This past Sunday at church, Carson's class was talking about putting on the armor of God. Since then, all he has talked about is the sword and how you use it to get "bad people".  So, I sat down with him this afternoon and tried to explain what putting on the armor of God means. 

I started with how a long time ago, the Romans did wear real armor to protect themselves, but how today we don't actually wear real armor but that it is invisible.
I then tried to explain that we protect ourselves from the devil, God's enemy, by wearing our armor. 
I explained that the helmet was for protection of bad thoughts, the breastplate would help our heart stay clean, belt of truth so that only truth enters our thoughts, our feet to lead us where God wants us to go, the shield is for believing that Jesus will do what he says he will do and the sword is our knowledge of the Bible. 

We haven't really talked about the devil before, but Carson was very interested in who this was. I told him that the devil use to be an angel that lived with Jesus in heaven, but one day he decided he wanted to live his own way and didn't want to follow Jesus so Jesus told him couldn't live in heaven with him anymore. I told him that the devil did not like us to make good choices and didn't want us to live for Jesus. In the past couple of weeks, in my Bible study we have really talked about getting to the hearts of our children and in turn, we have been trying to get to the heart issues when Carson disobeys. He is memorizing scripture and we have talked a lot about how God wants our hearts to be clean. As we are sitting on the kitchen floor I can tell Carson is trying to take all this information in. He looks at me and says, "Mommy, if I do bad will Jesus not let me live with him anymore." I told him, no honey. I said mommy and daddy asked Jesus to come live in our hearts and because we did that then we will always be able to be with Jesus because he loves us so much. He sat there, then looked at me and bowed his head and said, "Jesus, will you come live in my heart so I can be with you forever?" I just melted right there on the floor. I know he is only 3 and he still doesn't fully understand, but it was the sweetest thing I have ever heard. Parenting is hard work and just today at Bible study I was reminded of this verse: Galations 6:9 "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."

Thank you Lord for allowing me the opportunity to have this conversation with Carson today, I will treasure it forever.

1 comment: